I’m thrilled to announce the publication of my new gardening app, Foolproof Plants for Small Gardens. Published by Sutro Media and available for $2.99 from both iTunes and Google Play (where it is titled Plant Picks for Small Gardens), this app is yet another manifestation of my ongoing obsession with small space design.
With almost 100 plants and 450 photos, Foolproof Plants highlights some of the best options for ornamental plants that stay a manageable size, from trees that grow less than 25’ to shrubs smaller than 5’—not to mention well-behaved vines that won’t eat your house. It’s all organized in a highly searchable database that allows you to search by plant category, USDA zone, or desirable characteristics like flower color or drought tolerance.
Here’s a breakdown on what’s included:
- 90+ plants in seven categories: trees, shrubs, perennials, vines, groundcovers and ornamental grasses plus a special bonus category.
- Plant descriptions that include cultural requirements, maintenance tips, when to “proceed with caution” and alternate varieties.
- Tags that let you narrow down your selection by USDA climate zone, flower color, drought tolerance and more.
- Links to online nurseries and how-to videos.
- Pronunciation guide for botanical names that is both written and recorded.
- Step-by-step guidelines on sustainable planting practices, including sheet mulching.
- Garden glossary.
- Sunset zones included for Western gardeners.
Because this app is intended as a resource for small-space gardeners all over the country, I enlisted the help of a talented group of horticulturists and landscape designers from other USDA zones to contribute plant choices that represent some of the best small-space plants from their regions. Click on the Contributors section in the app, and you’ll be impressed by the credentials of co-authors Katie Elzer-Peters (zone 7), Jenny Peterson (zone 8), Maria Zampini (zones 5 and 6) and Genevieve Schmidt (Zone 9 and my go-to source for the best maintenance advice).
To celebrate, I’m giving the iTunes version of Foolproof Plants away to three readers! To win, leave a comment by next Monday at midnight. Winners will be chosen randomly. Unfortunately, I only have promotional codes for the iTunes version, so this giveaway will run on iPhone or iPad, but not on other smart phones or on your computer. But don’t worry if you're not a fan of technology that begins with i; an eBook version is in the works, so stay tuned for another announcement in the near future…
Update! The three lucky winners are Leslie Peluso, Valerie Robertson and Pam Kirsting!